Thursday, June 6, 2013

Epic

I took my nephew to see this movie this weekend. It was cute, but not my favorite.

Epic, directed by Chris Wedge, was a cute kid's movie but the plot was lacking and the characters were kind of boring.



The movie is about a teenage girl, Mary Katherine (Amanda Seyfried), who goes to live with her dad after something happens to her mom? I don't know - they don't really explain that, that I remember. She doesn't want to be there because she thinks her dad is a weirdo. He lives up in the forest and believes in a magical kingdom of fairies that live in the woods.

So, she decides to leave after only giving him about an hour of a chance. But she let's the three legged, one eyed, pug out on accident on her way out. So she has to chase him down through the woods. While out there, she stumbles across the fairy queen, who is dying, and she shrinks her and gives her a pod that is holding her magical power to grow and heal things in the forest.

Oh, before she leaves the house, you get some POV from the fairies where the queen goes and picks out a pod to give her power to. They are attacked by The Rot - or the insects that want to destroy the forest and she is hit with an arrow and killed.

So, Mary Katherine (MK) gets this pod and goes along with the leader of the queen's guard (who was also her lover) to take it to see Nim Galuu (Steven Tyler). They are helped along their journey by a snail and a slug, Grub and Mub, and a young man named Nod (Josh Hutcherson). Nod thinks MK is really pretty.. so does Mub or Grub - whichever one is the slug. So there is some playful banter between them about who gets the girl (You'll never guess who she chooses).



Anyway, after they take the pod to Nim, it gets stolen by the Rot King, who's name I can't remember. He wants it to bloom away from the moonlight so instead of being a new Queen of the Forest, it becomes a Prince of the Darkness. It's a kid's movie.. so I don't think I'm giving anything away when I tell you that doesn't happen. It ends up blooming where it's supposed to, a new queen is chosen, and MK grows big again (after getting a kiss from Nod). She then returns to her fathers house and helps him with his research, all the while maintaining an unrealistic relationship with a man that is two inches tall and lives in a faster moving dimension than she does. But she does get to talk to him on the phone. Weird movie.

The plot was just "bleh". The characters had nothing really lovable about them except the three legged dog. Who was adorable. The snail and slug added a bit of entertainment, but if it hadn't been for those two characters, I think I would have fallen asleep.

I like the other cartoons that Blue Sky and Twentieth Century have done (Rio and Ice Age) but this movie just didn't deliver for me.

I give it a 5 out of 10.

Thanks for reading!
Comments are always appreciated. =)

2 comments:

  1. It didn't look that good. I doubt I will be seeing it. - Mando.

    ReplyDelete